Pastor Peters is one of a lonely breed, pastoring a Lutheran congregation in Tennessee.
This state is wall-to-wall Baptists of some description: Southern Baptists, Free-Will Baptists, Missionary Baptists, Bible Baptists, Independent Baptists, Regular Baptists, Seventh-Day Baptists, Cooperative Fellowship Baptists, on it goes. Then there are all the groups that somewhere along the way used to be Baptists...
In the flood of 'I'm-right-by-golly-and-you're-a-heathen' verbiage that floods us all, Pastor Peters is a calm and wisome conservative voice, who keeps his sense of humor in this complicated age.
His February 9 post contains some real wisdom, and OS shares it, not the least to remind himself to calm down a bit...
I believe that we can engage and hold our own in the great conversation with those around us. I believe that we are called to apologia -- to the great defense of Christian truth and faith not by condemnation but by raising up the Gospel and speaking it clearly and plainly. I believe that the Church need not be embarrassed by or apologize for our way of worship, for the painful truth of the Law, for the comforting words of the Gospel, for historicity of the Scriptures and its accounts of what actually took place, and for the exclusive path of redemption that is inclusive for all people, everywhere, who will hear and believe.
It's tempting to always try to win arguments, when maybe what we need to be doing is winning hearts.
How to engage in apologia?
Hmm...OS must retreat to his corner and think this one over.
2 comments:
It is really not surprising that the message of a Lutheran Pastor would be seen as somewhat strange in an area where most are Baptists of various stripes. The theologies of the two Churches are really very different from each other.
Can you say what part of the Lutheran Church Pastor Peters represents? There are divisions within Lutheranism, and that reflects some theological difference as well.
I was particularly interested in your mention of the Seventh Day Baptists. My wife's father's family were Seventh Day Baptists in Milton, WI, where the Church operated Milton College at one time. That is a disappearing colony now. Are there many in your area?
Not many Seventh-Day Baptists left here, but a lot of Adventists. Also a substantial population of Mennonites and Amish of various stripes tucked away, mainly out of sight. Tennessee is a good place to move for people who wish just to be left alone.
I think Pastor Peters is Missouri Synod, but I don't know enough about that world to know what that means.
Thanks for stopping by. It's good to know someone might benefit as I think out loud. Hope you find the reading list on the right of value.
Best regards,
OS
Post a Comment