Saturday, April 24, 2010

The State of Arizona Locates Its Spine: Illegal Immigration Is To Be Enforced By The State

Finally. About time. After heaven knows how many murders, kidnappings, shootings, tons of drugs and tens of thousands of illegal aliens invading Arizona for decades, the legislature and governor come to the obvious conclusion: The Federal Government is not interested in controlling the southern border of the United States. They have abdicated their responsibility, and care not a whit for the widows and orphans that litter the landscape because of unchecked illegal immigration.

And, it not just the Obama administration!! G.W. Bush acted like a man who had long ago been bought off by someone somewhere when it came to this issue. We all have to take our shoes off, be subject to searches, etc., etc., in the name of national security, and Bush refused to take action on the border, until he was forced into it. When he attempted to get an amnesty bill passed in the dark of night over Memorial Day 2007, he alienated the final loyalists of the Republican Party, and damn near destroyed it.

So, finally, Arizona takes back its Constitional prerogative.

OS has just one further word to add:  YEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!

And this incident, which dates from today, gives insight into why Arizona is so long overdue.

Now, let's see how the Obama administration and its 'political organizing' minions go on the attack. Expect a flood of Federal civil-rights lawsuits, Federal prosecutions of local deputies, attempts to vacate the law in the Federal courts. If Arizona succeeds in asserting its Constitutional rights, Obama knows the floodgates will open against him, state by state, issue by issue.

It's not about immigration. It's about the rule of law, the Constitution, and who gets to rule.

OS is cheering for the states.

2 comments:

Jr Deputy Accountant said...

While I am 100% for cracking down on illegal immigration, I don't know if Arizona is sure what it has gotten itself into. Is the immigration problem bad enough to support a police state where cops are allowed to make citizens "show your papers" for any cause, legal or not?

I say this because I have a 7 year old son who is half Nicaraguan. Little mini JDA is much less brown than his (now American citizen) father (who came here at the age of 15 during the worst of Nicaragua's civil war in the late 80s) nor is he as pale as his blue-eyed mother, and I can only imagine what would happen if he were to grow up in a world where he'd have to carry his birth certificate around even to the store or to pick his own kids up from school lest he be harassed.

I know the federal government does not give a flying rat's ass about immigration (hello: doomed plan to form a North American Union or guilt over ruining Mexican farms with our crap genetically-modified seeds) but this is a FEDERAL issue. They need to grow a pair on this ONE ISSUE and do the right thing to reform the mess we have now.

Of course they won't and we'll realize how badly we bumbled things when WE are the ones trying to escape to the North. Word is Canada is already rejecting large numbers of Americans attempting to head that direction.

Yours truly already has the property ready in Nicaragua. Screw it.

anyway, I understand your frustration, OS, and I agree with you that SOMETHING needs to be done but I am not sure that this is it. I don't have the answers so I guess it is better than nothing but Arizona is becoming the next gangster Chicago, are you sure you want to give sycophants like Sheriff Arpaio that sort of power?? The same Sheriff who "made a name for himself" busting illegals is also well-known for harassing bloggers in Maricopa County who dare to criticize his organization. Am I next because of my last name?

OldSouth said...

Hello, JDA! I am deeeeeeply flattered to see you adding your wisdom to my ramblings.

Maybe I am too hasty at points on all this, but I sit here in Middle Tennessee, and see innocent folk killed by illegal immigrant criminals. Two years ago this month, it was a young lady who had just bootstrapped herself out of the 'hood through a state university into acceptance at a first-rate law school. All that ended when the drunken illegal ran the stop sign and killed her, a week after graduation. That's just one of a string of such horrors. Had the Federal government done its job, that girl would be clerking for a judge somewhere this summer. It barely got a mention past the first day in the local press. Move on, nothing to see here.

On the other hand, I have a friend who is the child of a mom from Ohio(think white-bread midwestern) and a South American father (long ago a naturalized US citizen). She is accomplished, drop-dead beautiful, and moved to Arizona from the East Coast. She's thriving there, but I can easily see how her 'papers' would be demanded, and how utterly insulting it would be to her. Her dad speaks gramatically perfect, but distinctly accented, English. He is swarthy of complexion, and might likely be targeted when he visits.

This is not a good thing.

I think we both agree that the Feds, by abdicating their Constitutional obligations, have created one huge conundrum. They never begin to move in a correct direction unless threatened by abject humiliation, which is what the Arizona legislature is dishing up, hot and steamy.

My hope is this: The cops in Arizona use their heads--if they have someone stopped for a legit probable cause, they check id. The prospect of being caught convinces a large proportion of the illegals to head home to Mexico. Other states, like Tennessee, Oklahoma, Arkansas, pass their own versions, and the illegals get the message. Finally, the Feds experience enough shame to actually do their duty, and the states back off.

It may be too much to hope for.

In the meantime, I wouldn't blame you for avoiding travel in Arizona.

It is a mess, totally avoidable, but a mess nonetheless.

And, let me say again just how deeply I admire your work. I am a poor inarticulate schlub. YOU are a writer!