Monday, September 7, 2009

The Joys of the Weekend

So grateful for the short respite of the US Labor Day weekend.

I've done strenuous things like walk the golf course, buy an inexpensive set of cookware with my bride (after nineteen years, maybe it's time to own a matched set!), work my way through A.N. Wilson's fabulous book After The Victorians, drink coffee, listen to the rain fall, pile my border collie into the pickup for a trip to the local skip(no home trash service out here in the country...), go to the grocery, the local feed store, the ice-cream store in the nearby village.

Etc., etc.

It's been wonderful. I've had time to exhale.

I'm tired.

At some point today, it dawned on me that Mrs. OldSouth and I have lived with our proverbial 'foot to the floor' since childhood, to some extent by choice, but mainly from necessity. We live in a hurried culture, which has for most of the past fifty or so years promoted consumption at the expense of production; without consciously acknowledging it, we've been doing battle with it the whole time. It hasn't been a losing battle in general, but it has been tiring.

For today, the border collie has the right plan: Curled up next to Mrs. OldSouth on the couch, snoozing.

Much to be done, and will have to jump into it tomorrow.

But for tonight...back to Mr. Wilson.

So grateful for this life I've been given.

No comments: