The alarm rang early this a.m., but once again, church was worth the drive. Gospel reading was on the Annunciation, we sang the Standford Magnificat in G, sermon was spot on. I need the reminder that even if the world is in chaos, God is in charge.
One of the joys of the season is XM Radio's Holiday Pops, which we receive via our Direct TV service. The programming is magnificent, inspiring, a real blessing.
One day, not soon, I plan to tell the tale of the journey of a member of the family, one of the finest people I have ever known, through the dark swamp of academia. He has held up well, but the darkness he has encountered is truly profound. At this point, I can say I now understand why my ancestors considered a journey in a small sailboat across the North Atlantic preferable to continuing to live under English rule. I appreciate Adams and Jefferson more than words can say. I feel keenly for all my dear friends who have to endure present life in the UK and Europe.
If you don't read Jesse's Cafe Americain, I urge you to begin. He brings a moral insight rare in our day.
His link is to the left on the page.
Today's header from Jesse is especially inspiring, a quote from Dickens:
"I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys."
Have a great week. Hug your family extra good, and make sure they know they are loved.
Remember Gabriel's reassurance to Mary: 'With God, nothing is impossible.'
No comments:
Post a Comment